The Versatile PhD: a career resource for graduate students, postdoctoral scholars and advanced degree alumni in humanities, social science and STEM disciplines looking for diverse career paths outside of the professoriate.
Thinking about next steps in your career? Interested in exploring non-academic career options? Take a look at Versatile PhD for information, resources and support. The Versatile PhD is a resource that is especially for graduate students who want to know more about non-academic career options and how to pursue them.
Login to The Versatile PhD site to:
- Look at the PhD Career Pathfinder, to explore diverse career paths for PhDs
- View real resumes, cover letters and application documents used in the application process, where PhDs "got the job"
- Join a supportive web-based community where you can dialogue with "Versatile PhDs" in and outside the academy
- Completely confidential. No one at any university will know you are using this website unless you tell them. Not your advisor, not your peers, nor anyone else will be aware of your use unless you disclose it or make it obvious with your public name, etc.
Sign up for free access to Versatile PhD: https://secure.career.ucla.edu/Login/Default.aspx?AppID=31.
IMAGINE PHD is a Career Exploration and Planning Tool for the Humanities and Social Sciences.
ImaginePhD is a free online career exploration and planning tool for PhD students and postdoctoral scholars in the humanities and social sciences.
Humanities and social sciences PhD students and their mentors have long recognized the need for more resources to help bridge the knowledge gap between doctoral education and the realm of career possibilities.
ImaginePhD is designed to meet this need by allowing users to:
- assess their career-related skills, interests, and values
- explore careers paths appropriate to their disciplines
- create self-defined goals
- map out next steps for career and professional development success
The ImaginePhD project is powered by the Graduate Career Consortium (GCC). For more than 25 years, the GCC has been the professional network of staff and administrators who provide professional and career development for PhDs and postdoctoral scholars at their universities and institutions.
For more information, please visit our FAQs page.